Skinny Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Posted by Katie
Berries are at their peak freshness in the spring and this recipe takes advantage of all those juicy, sweet strawberries pouring into grocery stores. With each serving coming in at only 190 calories you can afford to add a dollop of sugar-free whipped cream or a scoop of frozen yogurt. Makes 9 servings.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen, slightly thawed unsweetened strawberries, halved (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed to measure, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 12 ounces fresh or slightly thawed frozen rhubarb, sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 9 packets Sweet One® granulated sugar substitute, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whipped cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; add strawberries, rhubarb and orange peel and toss. In small bowl, combine cornstarch, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 6 packets Sweet One®; add to fruit and toss to coat. In same bowl, combine oats, walnuts, flour, cinnamon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and remaining 3 packets Sweet One®; stir in melted margarine until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is browned and rhubarb is tender. Cool before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.